Codman House (1870s). The register of this hotel is at the Old Town Museum

Photo Missing

COMMENT: The Codman House was located on the north side of Center Street between the bridge and Water Street. It burned down in the early morning of June 12, 1885 (see Bangor Daily Whig and Courier, 1885/06/13, p.3.). The guestbook that is in the possession of the Museum runs from May 23, 1885 through June 11, 1885. Probably, it was salvaged as the hotel was burning down. The image presented here is actually a photo or a scan of one panel of a stereographic card (also know as a stereoview) by M. L. Averill of Old Town, who was active as a photographer from the mid 1860s to the early 1870s. The Maine Historical Preservation Committee in Augusta has an original copy of the card in its collection (as well as another stereoview view of the Codman House that does not show the bridge).